Somerset Elementary achieves academic excellence by fostering students’ individual talents and skills. Teachers and staff excel at creating a learning environment that is differentiated with each student’s needs in mind. The academic environment is enhanced through a strong sense of school pride, service learning opportunities and a Community of Care that includes parents and guardians as partners in education. Students and staff demonstrate a core value of kindness as they interact with each other and work to build a respectful school community.
The mission of the Somerset school community is to challenge students to reach their full academic potential within a positive, safe, and dynamic learning environment.
WHAT'S SPECIAL ABOUT SOMERSET?
- Caring, high-qualified teachers.
- Parent-teacher communication is at the core of a successful home to school relationship.
- A feeling of family--every Somerset classroom has a buddy classroom.
- Leading classroom technology tools that enhance and even accelerate learning.
- Math instruction that builds students’ knowledge from the basics to higher-order thinking
- Literacy instruction that uses motivating and engaging literature to help teachers teach the right skill, at the right time, for every student
- Hands-on instruction in science, social studies, art, music and physical education.
- The S.P.I.F.F. (special pals in fun friendships) program connects students with senior citizens who learn from each other and develop important intergenerational friendships.
- Staff, parent and community volunteers share expertise in a variety of after-school enrichment classes including: Continental Math, Fitness Club, Boys Book Club, Fusion Lab, LEGO League and more.
- An annual Read-a-Thon encourages reading by students while raising money for the school.
- The Kindness Project, that promotes a proactive approach to positive and safe school environments.
- Gifted and Talented programming to serve high-performing students’ needs and support teachers in tailoring learning opportunities for every student.
- An Introduction to Instruments program allows all fourth graders to try different musical instruments.
AWARDS AND HONORS
- USDA Healthier US School Challenge Silver Award - 2011
- Energy Star School - 2009 to present
Learn about Somerset's School Initiatives and Community Partners.
Learn more about Enrolling in School District 197.
Download a fact sheet (English/Español) for more information about Somerset.